Tuesday, January 22, 2008

facundo

for me it's been a struggle to get through the last part of Facundo. like the first half of the book, i found the second half just as dry. even though it's been difficult to read, i also found myself feeling scared while reading the book. in that sense, Sarmiento is a good writer, because what he was writing felt pretty real to me. i found myself putting myself in the position of the people living at that time, under the influence of Facundo. i cannot begin to imagine what it would be like to live in such fear.
even though it was not actually Facundo, but Rosas who was inflicting such horrors on the people of Argentina, Sarmiento did a good job of making it feel real. as a woman, it is hard to hear that there was not even mercy shown towards the women in the book.
overall, although i did not really enjoy the book, i think it was productive in triggering an emotion in me, which is what i believe Sarmiento wanted to do, because that is what produces change (and acting on that emotion).

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Isa, when I was reading some of the horrible things Facundo, Rosas and Lopez did as caudillos I felt my anger in my vains -pretty much what Sarmiento as you pointed out tried to do as an author- but also it kind of makes me angry that he with the use of a mighty pen couldnt write and leave a legacy for what other argentinian traditions are more important than those barbaric ones. Wasn't the colonization process in America much more barbaric?...